New

I have a little saying that I'm probably overly fond of - "Sorry is a promise not to do it again."  So I should probably stop apologising for not blogging more frequently.  It's almost certainly going to happen again.

Since I haven't posted since August I should probably update you on one or two things.  Firstly - that open mic' night that I was investigating... Well, the organiser never came back to me after I sent him two possible short stories, accompanied by an enquiry as to whether someone else might read for me should he think they were suitable.  I attended anyway, in the spirit of supporting the alternative genre and its enthusiastic authors.  Here's what I had to say about it at the time...


I know you're on tenterhooks to hear how last night's open mic' event went... Well, if you enjoy hearing hesitant middle aged men read banal stories about Internet paedophile grooming where fundamentally nothing happens then you missed a treat. Equally, if self-congratulatory belief bashing is your thing, then you would have had a blast. If you enjoy self-indulgent over-written sci-fi then, once again, this was the gig for you. Personally I enjoy creepy stories about Dolls, so there was a little something in there for me. But only a little something. We left at half time and it's doubtful we'll be back...


So that was that.


Meanwhile...


I had a baby in October.  She arrived on my birthday, which was very sweet of her.  No card though, and I didn't enjoy the unwrapping much.  Still, it's the thought that counts.

She's adorable, but she is a seriously time consuming little thing.  If I'm not actually tending to her then I'm thinking about the next time I'll need to be tending to her, and have I prepared everything necessary in the next episode of her day, such as a bottle of formula, clean clothes, or some sort of stimulating activity?  This leaves very little time for pondering on stuff I'd like to be writing.  I had a great conversation with a lovely lady at Radio 4 Manchester about two weeks before my daughter was born, and they have left me with an open invitation to send them ideas, but there are none forthcoming.  I can't even generate any interesting stories about babies.  It's ridiculous.

I'm going back to work soon though, and am hopeful that being forced to think about something else will remind me how to do it, and I can try to find some time to ponder plots and characters.  You never know, maybe just writing this blog (the first thing I've written in ages) will start some deep dark ideas brewing...


Meanwhile (again), my husband has entered the heady world of the blog.  Please be a dear and follow him at The Candlelit Corner.  Especially if you're into all things gothic.  It'll be right up your eerily lit alley.


Comments